The natural bay where Port Lockroy is located was discovered in 1904. The area gets its name from Édouard Lockroy, a French politician who helped fund Antarctic expeditions. Before there was a permanent settlement, the bay was used by whaling ships in the early 20th century. The current base was established in 1944 by the British military and was named Port Lockroy Station A. The base operated as a research station until 1962.
洛克羅伊港所在的天然海灣於 1904 年被發現。該地區得名於資助南極探險的法國政治家愛德華．洛克羅伊。在有人永久定居之前，該海灣在二十世紀初被捕鯨船使用。目前的基地為英國軍方於 1944 年建立，當時被命名為洛克羅伊港站 A。該基地在 1962 年之前一直作為研究站運營著。
politician n. 政治人物
fund vt. 資助，提供資金
permanent a. 永久的